Healthcare Decision Making
- relevant legislation and where it applies
- steps for obtaining consent or refusal
- human rights and the importance of supported decision-making
- when to defer to substitute decision-makers and their hierarchy.
These resources have been developed in collaboration with the UQ Pro Bono Centre. Find out more about working in partnership to develop CLE resources [link to CLE Partnerships page].
Healthcare decision making flowcharts
- Who decides about receiving or refusing healthcare Infographic (colour) or (black & white)
- Healthcare decision-making process flow chart
- Healthcare decision making: key principles for health practitioners
Case scenarios process and analysis
- Abraham, a young man who has been brought to Emergency following a motor vehicle accident. Download Process & Analysis
- Elizabeth is a 64 year old retiree who is refusing further dialysis treatment. Download Process & Analysis
- Maria has had a fall and is in Emergency very confused and is on her own. Download Process & Analysis
- Health Care Principles: A guide for anyone making health care decisions for a person with impaired capacity.
- Overview of the Human Rights Act 2019
- Queensland Capacity Assessment Guidelines: A guide to understanding capacity, capacity assessment and the legal tests of capacity under Queensland’s guardianship legislation